Header Graphic
Chickasaw Country District No. 1 Country Schoolhouse

 

Established in 1854 as Yankee District Number One, later known as New Hampton District Number One, this one-room school served the educational needs of local children for more than a century. Two earlier school buildings housed the district before this clapboard schoolhouse, complete with its distinctive belfry, opened in 1904. The school remained in operation until 1959.

After its closure, the building was moved to the John and Jeanette Kottke farm, where it was used as a granary for several years before sitting vacant. In 2001, Jeanette Kottke generously donated the schoolhouse to the Chickasaw County Country School Preservation Board. The building was relocated to Fredericksburg in March 2002, where it has remained as a cherished piece of Chickasaw County's history.

 

© City of Fredericksburg, Iowa.    Site hosted by Web Design by Duhrkopf    Images by Erica Sassmann Images, LLC

Website Disclaimer: This site provides links to other web sites. These may include links to web sites operated by other government agencies, nonprofit organizations and/or private businesses. Neither the City of Fredericksburg, nor any agency, officer, or employee of the City of Fredericksburg warrants the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information published by this system, nor endorses any content, viewpoints, products, or services linked to/from this system, and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of such information. Portions of such information may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained from this system does so at his or her or its own risk.